Muay Thai Gym Etiquette: Do’s and Dont’s
The Muay Thai Guys Podcast – Episode 73
There are some unwritten rules when it comes to stepping foot into a new gym. However, most people are unaware of these unwritten rules because, well – they’re unwritten.
Fortunately, MTG writer Angela Chang put together a great post a few weeks back on the 13 Rules For Proper Gym Etiquette, which gave Paul and I the idea to cover the same topic in podcast form… so that’s exactly what we did!
We cover the 13 aspects that Angela talk about but go into further detail about each area including:
- Don’t be late! Show up on time and show that you’re ready to put in the work.
- No shoes on the mat. Should be quite obvious, but people tend to neglect it.
- Get your own gear. Sometimes gyms have lender equipment, but you’re always better off using your own (for cleanliness purposes)
- Clean your gear. Sanitize, air out and keep good care of your gear if you don’t want to get any infections.
- Keep basic hygiene. Don’t be that smelly bastard who clinches with everyone without showering for days and no deodorant.
- Wear underwear. This shouldn’t have to be said… but it does.
- Do what you’re told. The trainers and coaches know what they’re talking about (most of the time) so don’t be disrespectful by acting like you’re above them and doing your own thing.
- Don’t spar at 100%. Don’t be that asshole trying to hurt everyone!
- Clinch hard, knee soft. Clinching can be a little more intense, but make sure you’re not spearing knees into your partners ribs and causing injury.
- Wash your hands/yourself before clinching. If you have an extra shirt to throw on before going into clinch class, your training partners will thank you.
- Respect everyone. Respect is the centerpoint of Muay Thai, show make sure to show respect to all skill levels and ages.
- Be realistic. Know that it will take time to get good!
The Muay Thai Guys come out with NEW episodes almost every week! Make sure you don’t miss one by subscribing via one of the options below:
Click here to subscribe on iTunes
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher