“Gym Hopping” – The Pros and Cons Of Training At Different Gyms
THE MUAY THAI GUYS PODCAST: EPISODE #21
By Sean Fagan
One of the most controversial topics in the Muay Thai and MMA community is that of “gym hopping”.
More often times than not, gym hopping is used as derogatory term that people associate with someone who goes from gym to gym without any real home gym… this is NOT the way to go about training at different gyms.
In order to successfully and respectfully train at different gyms, Paul and I discuss the right and wrong way to go about doing so. In our discussion, we dive deep into the advantages and disadvantages of so called “gym hopping” including:
- Why you should train at a variety of gyms.
- How it can be limiting if you don’t step out of your comfort zone to spar/train with other fighters and coaches.
- The benefits of training at multiple gyms and how to bring up the idea to your coach and teammates.
- Why some coaches might not want you to go “gym hopping” and how to respectfully discuss with them why you should.
- How sparring with different styles is a MUST if you want to go far as a fighter.
- How important and fun it is to network and meet other people who share the same passion as you.
- The importance of having a home gym and a trainer/team you can count on.
- The disadvantages of training at other gyms
- How you could spar future opponents and how to deal with it.
- The right and wrong way to train at other gyms.
- And much, much more!
Click here or the podcast player at the top to listen to the entire episode!
The Muay Thai Guys come out with NEW episodes almost every week! Make sure you don’t miss one by subscribing via one of the options below:
Click here to subscribe on iTunes.
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher.
Follow Muay Thai Athlete and Muay Thai Guy on Facebook.
Feed Your Muay Thai Addiction!
Join our "Muay Thai Mondays" email newsletter for the latest updates on new videos, special events and everything Muay Thai!