Complete Guide To Fighting For The First Time (Part 2)
The Muay Thai Guys Podcast – Episode 10
At some point almost everyone who trains Muay Thai considers stepping in the ring to test their skills and heart.
In last week’s podcast, fighters Sean (19-6) and Paul (12-2-1) broke down the first part of the complete guide to fighting for the first time… and in this episode they go in even further detail talking about things like…
- Food Prep and Dieting – Many fighters (especially early on in their career) neglect to educate themselves on the proper way to fuel their bodies and minds for a fight. Knowing what to eat and when to eat will play a huge role in your energy levels, weight maintenance, training output and much more.
- Rest and Recovery – Another neglected area of training is the rest and recovery portion. Without taking the time to mentally and physically recharge you won’t be able to train as hard as you’d like during the training camp for your fight. Make sure to listen to episode #6 where the guys talk about specific ways that will aid in your recovery between sessions.
- Strength and Conditioning – Balancing your Muay Thai specific training with your strength and conditioning can be a challenge. Sean and Paul go over some key concept and tips that will help you maximize your training sessions so you’re in the best shaper possible when you step into the ring.
- Muay Thai Specific Training – How often should you be training? What type of Muay Thai training should you be focusing on? Figure out how much sparring, pad work and other forms of training you should be doing leading up to fight night.
- Cutting Off Negativity – Whether it’s friends, family or other people in your life, it’s important to cut yourself off from the people who bring you down and make you doubt yourself. Chances are people are going to think you’re crazy for wanting to fight (and that’s perfectly normal) but it’s the people who distract you from your goals and get you into bad habits that aren’t going to be beneficial to your Muay Thai career.
- Student/Coach Relationship – Having a close relationship with your trainer and training partners will be crucial to your success in and out of the ring. Without a good support system behind you and without a team of people helping you improve day in and day out, it’s going to be A LOT more difficult to win fights.
- Preparation in the Locker Room – The locker room can make or break a fighter. Do you know what your warm up is going to consist of? Do you know how to deal with the emotions and nerves that are bound to spring up right before you fight? The Muay Thai Guys share their tips that get them zoned in before the fight.
- And much more!
Click here (or the podcast player at the top of the page) to listen to TMTG 010: The Complete Guide To Fighting For The First Time (Part 2)
Also don’t forget to check out part 1 of “The Complete Guide To Fighting For The First Time” where Sean and Paul will go into detail and cover topics like:
- Figuring out your motivation and why you want to fight.
- Showing your worth and putting in the time at the gym.
- Training like the fighter you want to become.
- Planning out your entire training camp
- And much more!
The Muay Thai Guys come out with NEW episodes almost every week! Make sure you don’t miss one by subscribing via one of the options below:
Click here to subscribe on iTunes
Click here to subscribe on Stitcher